Support Denmark, Defend Freedom

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Smoke 'em while you're still allowed to got 'em

Here we go:
Breathing any amount of someone else's tobacco smoke harms nonsmokers, the surgeon general declared Tuesday - a strong condemnation of secondhand smoke that is sure to fuel nationwide efforts to ban smoking in public.

"The debate is over. The science is clear: Secondhand smoke is not a mere annoyance, but a serious health hazard," said U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona.

More than 126 million nonsmoking Americans are regularly exposed to smokers' fumes - what Carmona termed "involuntary smoking" - and tens of thousands die each year as a result, concludes the 670-page study. It cites "overwhelming scientific evidence" that secondhand smoke causes heart disease, lung cancer and a list of other illnesses.

Really. Now breathing "any amount" of SHS will harm you. Sure. And it's just a coincidence that every time some petty fascist decides he wants to regulate more and more people's lives the claims get more and more dire. Right.

Not one death has ever been directly linked to public SHS. Not one. And this is including people who lived the majority of their life before smoking bans. Yet breathing "any amount" of SHS will harm you. Sure.

A link does seem to exist between long-term constant exposure to SHS (e.g., being married to a smoker) and an increase in heart and lung disease, but there is not a lick of scientific evidence that the occasional exposure to cigarette smoke leads to long-term illness or death. Yet breathing "any amount" of SHS will harm you. Sure.
Even a few minutes around drifting smoke is enough to spark an asthma attack, make blood more prone to clot, damage heart arteries and begin the kind of cell damage that over time can lead to cancer, he said.
Some days it's easy to believe Darwin was an idiot.

Well, at least people will always be free to smoke in the privacy of their own homes. Um, I said WELL, AT LEAST PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BE FREE TO SMOKE IN THE PRIVACY OF THEIR OWN HOMES:
But public smoking bans don't reach inside private homes, where just over one in five children breathes their parents' smoke - and youngsters' still developing bodies are especially vulnerable. Secondhand smoke puts children at risk of sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS, as well as bronchitis, pneumonia, worsening asthma attacks, poor lung growth and ear infections, the report found.

It's just a matter of time, ain't it.

I need to do something I very, very rarely do here at the Cranky Insomniac. I need to exercise my right to be profane, and close with a direct message to Surgeon General Carmona:

Go fuck yourself, you ignorant, fascist prick.

KYFHO, motherfucker. KYFHO.

Update: See comments for a possible explanation of why I lost it.

Anonymous fmragtops said...

Cranky, you need to breath some second hand smoke in deeply and relax. I know you're right, but you're sounding a bit like a screeching moonbat right now. Wipe the foam off the corner of your mouth. PWP (posting while pissed) is seldom a constructive way to communicate your point.

I completely agree with your point though. I'm with you on this one. Especially since our wonderful politicians here in Louisiana have taken a step towards regulating smoking in the home. This most recent legislative session produced a law that prohibits smoking in an automobile with minors. The funny thing is, a few years ago vehicles were considered extensions of your home, and a fourth ammendment protected area in response to a rise in carjackings. That bridges the gap. I really hope someone will challenge this law, and have it struck down. But hey, it's all for the cheeeeeldren.

01:15  
Blogger The Cranky Insomniac said...

I'm actually breathing some first hand smoke right now. Ahhhh...

Anyway, I completely agree with you. I just don't care. Every once in awhile enough is enough. It's my own fault for listening to Jon Stewart fawn over that silly hag Helen Thomas like she's some kind of American icon right before I read this article.

Also I think I may have found a gray hair.

01:28  
Blogger Gun-Toting Liberal said...

I second (smoke) that remark. GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU PRICK!!!!!!!!!

Grab my cigs and face my gun barrel...

Blog ON.....!

02:55  
Blogger House said...

Well, I can understand that. Viewing anything that has anything to do with Helen Thomas is likely to drive anyone a little insane...well, probably alot insane.

13:26  
Anonymous fmragtops said...

Woops, that last comment was from me.

13:27  
Blogger DMS said...

Indeed.

I'm planning a letter to the editor on this subject, but I'm waiting until I calm down before I try to write it.

In the meantime, I've decided to buy a nice briar pipe and start carrying it with me wherever I go, even though I don't smoke. And pity the first piece of fascist trash that says anything about it.

Molon Labe,

Dave

20:06  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home