Support Denmark, Defend Freedom

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wall of Shame

The Senate just voted to build 370 miles worth of triple-layered fencing along the Mexican border.

That giant cheering sound you hear is not coming from me.

I said it before, and I'll say it again:
I don't understand how you can have a statue that proclaims "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses who won't stop with the yearning" on the one hand and then erect a giant wall that says "keep out" on the other. If you build the wall, the statue must fall.
This is a bad day for the American Dream.

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I like the line from Robert Frost that goes something like "Good Fences make good friends" I think you are mistaken. If you feel this way, then you may as well take down the walls and front door of your home; leave it wide open so that insects, wild dogs, stray cats, winos and vagabonds may walk in anytime they feel like it. The reason for the walls of a home, along with the door as a proper entrance is to manage who and what comes inside. A wall is exactly what we need on the southern border to make a statement to the world that we do indeed have proper entrance proceedures, that we do have laws and enforce them.

16:41  
Blogger The Cranky Insomniac said...

I respect the "nation = house" argument that's going around, I just don't agree with it. And I'm not advocating not guarding our borders. I just think a fence, or a wall, sends a different message to the world than the one you think it does. To me, a wall says "Keep out: you're not wanted here," and that message troubles me.

23:51  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home