Support Denmark, Defend Freedom

Friday, May 05, 2006

PJ Media: Open source community or blog-fixing oligopoly???

So I'm reading Roger Simon's always-interesting blog, and I come across "The Pond Widens," a post about Clive Davis' take on European anti-Americanism. Here's how Simon begins:
Clive Davis had a post Friday - The Country They All Love To Hate - (meaning America, of course) that is getting justifiable attention.
All well and good so far.

After reading the rest of Simon's post, I click on the hyperlinked "attention." And where does it take me? To a subpage on the Pajamas Media site. Roger is one of the founders of PJM, but still, there's nothing wrong with linking to them in order to show all this "justifiable attention" that Davis' post is getting, right? Well, here's PJM's take:

May 3, 2006 4:14 AM

Clive Davis (pro-American, Iraq war supporter, and who would have voted for Bush if he weren’t a British citizen) sounds disappointed: “After reading the comments on that recent anti-Americanism thread, I actually began to wonder if there’s any point keeping this blog going. If US readers aren’t willing to listen to constructive criticism, why bother?”

UPDATE. Roger Simon comments.

So Roger Simon's idea of "justifiable attention" is a two sentence PJM post and a link right back to Roger Simon.

This smacks suspiciously of blog-fixing to me, maybe even the first step towards the creation of a blogopoly. Roger and all of PJM can thank their lucky stars that as a principled libertarian I'm loathe to call for a government investigation.

That said, wouldn't it be in their best interest to nip this story in the bud? Wouldn't it be in their best interest to co-opt me by bringing me into the fold and making me a member of PJM?

Let me answer your first question before you ask it: No, it's not, and blackmail is such an ugly word, anyway. I'm talking about a mutually beneficial arrangement, a win-win situation, the kind of "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" agreement that is the cornerstone of our capitalist economy, indeed the very foundation of this great nation.

So to all who would speak to me of "blackmail," I would say this: You can say anything you want about me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you bad mouth the United States of America.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home