Support Denmark, Defend Freedom

Friday, April 07, 2006

Disaster cancelled due to bad weather

Glenn Reynolds instalinks to a story about a disaster drill in Tennessee being suspended because of the threat of tornadoes.

I hope if disaster ever strikes Tennessee it does so on a nice, sunny 72 degree day.

I understand not wanting to risk people's lives, but I don't fully understand the point of only training for a disaster under ideal conditions. "If it ain't rainin' it ain't trainin'" was how the saying went when I was in the army, and as miserable as it could make you, it made sense. You can't plan on conditions being perfect when the balloon goes up, and you can't just pray that the weather will be nice when a skyscraper collapses or a train derails and spills chemicals (the two drills that were scheduled to be run). If you're only trained in how to act when things go by the book, you're in deep kimchi when the book goes out the window. The more conditions you train in, the more likely you are to keep your head regardless of what's going on around you.

Of course, I don't know jack about tornadoes, having never lived in a region where they occur. So it's entirely possible I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home