Support Denmark, Defend Freedom

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Cranky Insomniac's 100th Post!

In honor of my 100thpost, here are some random musings, questions, and aphorisms from The Notebooks of the Cranky Insomniac, to be published only in the unlikely event of my death.

If you're going to compare Republicans to Nazis, please make sure you do it at the top so you save me the trouble of having to pay attention to anything else you have to say.

"My country always wrong" is not a more nuanced or sophisticated position than "my country right or wrong," and the latter is generally far less annoying.

I'm not particularly interested in the root causes of your dementia.

Does anyone else find it odd that it in general it was the people who don't believe in an afterlife who wanted to pull the plug on Terry Schiavo, and the people who believe in heaven who wanted to keep her alive?

If you can rage about living in a fascist society and not be thrown in jail or shot, you're not living in a fascist society.

Just once I'd like for House to be wrong and for one of the other doctors to make the correct diagnosis.

When will Keith Olbermann realize that his anti-O'Reilly ranting makes him as distasteful as O'Reilly himself?

The people with left wing bumperstickers on their cars are invariably the most incapable and inconsiderate drivers on the road.

Why is having been a supporter of Stalin somehow always excusable?

Our theocrats are preferable to their theocrats. For now.

Believing in the usefulness of the United Nations is insane, unless you're a dictator, despot, or mass murderer.

If you threaten me, my family, my friends, my country, or my way of life, you're gonna have a fight on your hands.

Sometimes torture is both necessary and moral. Then there's the other 99.9% of the time.

Why do "Blame America Firsters" claim to love their country?

The guy next to Jack Bauer in a gunfight is this generation's equivalent of the guy in the landing party wearing the red shirt on Star Trek.

Mr. Darwin will eventually take care of pacifists.

Our moral relativists are the best friends of their extremists.

If you enjoyed this sneak peek from The Notebooks of the Cranky Insomniac half as much as I did, well, then I enjoyed it twice as much as you.

Thanks to all of you who wrote in to congratulate me on my 100th post. Never forget that it's your strength and love that make all this possible.

-Cranky

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yawn. Why do people who have the same mediocre cliched boring right-wing beliefs we've heard a thousand times before think they're so iconoclastic and open-minded?

07:40  
Blogger Dave said...

Because compared to the alternative, they are.

12:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great defense. Our platitudes may be idiotic but they're better than their platitudes. No wonder many people feel this country is losing its way.

19:36  
Blogger The Cranky Insomniac said...

The sad thing is that anything on that list is now considered a "right-wing belief." Maybe that's why many people feel this country is losing its way.

I am neither iconoclastic nor open-minded. I am simply choosing an advisable locale at which to meet my client's delinquent husband.

Take that, Anonymous, if that is your real name...

20:09  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home